If you have ever driven past Hanauma Bay, you may have seen a massive set of "stairs" off to the mountain side. These are old train tracks that you can trek up, and that everyone calls Koko Head because it climbs up the side of Koko Head Crater. It is a quick and intense cardio workout that is insanely popular.
- Go early to avoid the heat and the crowds.
- Bring lots of water-it gets crazy hot! There is NO shade and the breeze is blocked until the top.
- Bring a camera for the amazing view!
- Take breaks if you need to, but don't give up. The top is worth it and you can always rest.
- Moonrise, Sunrise, and Sunset are all great from the top.
Here is a shot of the view on your way up.
A map of the area
Hanauma Bay is just below Koko Crater in this map view of the hike location.