Friday, February 3, 2012

Mug Rug - Quilt as You Go

My Mom's birthday was last month and I wanted to make her something she could use that was creative and fun.  I came up with this little quilt as you go style mug rug.  Why quilt as you go??  I wanted to practice on a small scale project before I tackle a quilt.  I actually really like the technique and find it makes it easy and fast to quilt anything.  My next project is going to be a runner, then a quilt.


I started by picking out my fabrics.  I chose neutral tones that could go in her sewing room, desk area, or even at work.  I started with the brown flowers and went from there.  The brown polka dots are a big favorite of mine, and she loves polka dot fabric, so SCORE.


Then I stamped the natural tan fabric and started picking out trims.


I used a store bought bias tape and yellow rick rack to add some pop!  The bird is from a t-shirt hang tag that I cut up and appliqued on.  It was hard to part with this little guy, but I know he is going to a good home, so... fly away little guy.


The tea cups are a Christmas gift from my husband for Christmas.  I LOVE them.  There are 4 of them and I have a matching teapot to go with.  We use them almost every day and I feel so sophisticated drinking out of such delicate porcelain tea cups.  "Why yes, I would adore another cup of green tea my love." (in a british accent, draw out the word ADOOOORE.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...