Friday, September 9, 2011

Arizona Sonora Desert Museum

Today I went to the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum.  It is more of a zoo with a lot of plants and animals from the desert.  All I can say is ... very cool.  I loved to cacti throughout, all of the animals, and even the reptile exhibit.  They have an extensive gift shop as well with local art, and a cafe.  What more can you ask for in a desert museum?


This is the road to the museum, only about 20 minutes from our house in Northern Tucson.



They are open every day, here are their hours.

October - February
8:30 am - 5:00 pm (no entry after 4:15 pm)
March - May
7:30 am - 5:00 pm (no entry after 4:15 pm)
June - August
Sun-Fri: 7:00 am - 4:30 pm (no entry after 3:45 pm)
Sat: 7:00 am - 10:00 pm (no entry after 9:15 pm)
September
7:00 am - 4:30 pm (no entry after 3:45 pm)



More of the drive to the museum.  


Here is a map taken from their website.  It really is right outside the city.



Some of the many cacti in the cactus garden.  For an interactive map of all the exhibits, click here.


One of the animals that wasn't hiding in the shade, the big horn sheep.  I loved these guys, so I was pretty stoked they were up and moving about.  Great picture, I know, but at least this one isn't sleeping.


I love the hot weather and the great outdoors!  The museum is located on 21 acres of desert and has almost 2 miles of walking paths.  I would recommend bringing water, a camera, sunscreen, a hat, and an attitude for discovery.  Wear cool clothing and closed toed shoes so you can really explore.


This was a giant grasshopper in the hummingbird exhibit.  I was just waiting for one to jump out onto my shoulder and make me scream! 
To view up to date hours, rates, and directions, click here.


I loved all the cacti with the flowers.  So beautiful!


Hiding in the shade like the rest of the animals.  We saw a resting Ocelot, Bobcat, and a Mountain Lion.  I was hoping to see them acting crazy, so heads up, they don't like the heat either.  Weird, huh?


At least the bobcats were out and about, but I didn't get a very good picture.  You get the idea.  There are all kinds of desert cats, javelinas, coati, tortoise, reptiles, birds of prey, hummingbirds, porcupine, etc.  It is well worth the $14.50 to get in.  We got the family membership for $65, which gets you 2 membership cards, free coffee and tea at the cafe, 3 guest passes, and all kinds of other goodies.  So check it out, you won't be disappointed   

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...