Saturday, April 14, 2012

Metalworking Basics

I am taking a basic metalworking class at the local community center.  We learn sawing, stamping, soldering, riveting, bezel setting, tube setting, flush setting, chasing, etc.  It is an amazingly diverse class that isn't project oriented, so everyone is making different pieces.  Here are a few of the things that I have finished during the class.  I still have a few more to go, but this is beginner goodness.


My first bezel setting.  I really wanted to put this on a ring, but since I am a newbie I totally set the stone before I went to solder it to the ring...  Oh well, beautiful pendant it is.


These circle earrings are so simple but I love them.  I really wanted to learn how to make something like this in my class.  Total success.


Another simple and versatile design.  You can expect to see a lot of these popping up.  I am playing with different sizes of rings and varying numbers.


These are long, lightweight, and eye catching.  I love the mix of colors, it feels so natural and open.  I totally had to salvage the top ring on the right earring.  Can you tell?  I almost melted it and it bowed and shrunk.  It took some time, but I made it look almost like new.  The coral is from a necklace my mom had in highschool so they are extra special.

More pics to come!  I can't wait to see what I learn to do next.  I am going to sign up for another session because it really is something where practice makes perfect.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE your new jewelry! Mother's Day is coming up and I see the perfect gift for me!!!
    Keep it up- You are such an artsy fartsy girl...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...